At East Tennessee Behavioral Health, we recognize the unique challenges a young person can face. Our adolescent inpatient program supports young people who are in crisis and require a high level of support to achieve stabilization.
Adolescent Inpatient Program Overview
The adolescent inpatient program at our facility in Knoxville, Tennessee, serves people ages 13-17 who are struggling with a number of mental health disorders.
Disorders we commonly treat in our inpatient program for adolescents include:
- Bipolar disorder
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Anxiety disorders
- Substance use disorders
- Schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders
We also provide quick interventions for the following concerns:
- Suicidal ideation
- Homicidal ideation
All admissions decisions regarding adolescents who have severe intellectual and developmental disabilities are made on a case-by-case basis. This also applies to youths who have conditions that require acute medical care.
Everyone heals at their own pace, but the typical length of stay in our adolescent inpatient program is about seven days. At the end of their stay, each adolescent may return home or step down to a lower level of care, such as our partial hospitalization program (PHP).
Therapies & Services
At East Tennessee Behavioral Health, located in Knoxville, Tennessee, every adolescent completes a comprehensive assessment. This assessment helps our team develop a personalized plan that will offer them the most benefit.
These are some of the services and therapies that may be included in each adolescent’s care plan:
- Individual therapy sessions with our licensed clinical social workers, licensed master social workers, and licensed professional counselors
- Family therapy sessions that involve our licensed clinical social workers, licensed master social workers, licensed professional counselors, and the adolescent’s loved ones
- Group therapy sessions that involve our licensed clinical social workers, licensed master social workers, licensed professional counselors, nurses, recreational therapists, behavioral health associates, and other adolescents in the program
- Medication management services that are provided by our psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses
- Nonmedical detoxification services that are provided by our licensed clinical social workers, licensed master social workers, psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and recreational therapists
During their time in our inpatient program, adolescents may engage in elements of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), motivational enhancement therapy, and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). The therapeutic interventions and treatment modalities we supply within our adolescent inpatient program can support young people in adopting healthier lifestyle choices and finding lasting recovery.
East Tennessee Behavioral Health is a premier provider of comprehensive services that can improve the quality of life of adolescents and their families. Our campus, located in Knoxville, Tennessee, is less than 10 miles from downtown and sits near several local hospitals. This makes our facility a convenient place for people who have a wide range of healthcare needs.
Our setting plays a huge role in helping adolescents focus on their health and make the changes necessary to live happier, more fulfilling lives. Our hospital offers indoor and outdoor recreation areas, providing everyone with a safe and peaceful environment to receive treatment.
If you have any questions about our adolescent inpatient program, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. A member of our staff is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to speak with you.
This content was written on behalf of and reviewed by the clinical staff at East Tennessee Behavioral Health.