It’s common to feel anxious in high-stress situations, but anxiety is more than just feeling nervous from time to time. Anxiety is a mental health condition characterized by constant feelings of fear and worry that can negatively impact your life.
At East Tennessee Behavioral Health, we offer personalized anxiety disorder treatment for adolescents, adults, and senior adults. With focused care provided by our expert team, you can learn to manage your anxiety symptoms and get on the path to a brighter future.
Signs & Symptoms of Anxiety Disorders
Common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders include:
- Racing heart
- Avoiding certain places, things, or situations
- Excessive fear and worry
- Trouble sleeping
- Weakness or fatigue
- Diarrhea or upset stomach
Not everyone displays the same symptoms of an anxiety disorder. But if you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it may be time to seek professional care at a trusted anxiety disorder treatment place.
Anxiety Disorder Statistics
The Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) has reported the following statistics on anxiety disorders:
- While anxiety disorders are highly treatable, only 36.9% of people in the United States who are suffering from them receive treatment.
- Generalized anxiety disorder is the most common anxiety disorder among senior adults.
- Anxiety disorders often develop from a complex set of risk factors, such as brain chemistry, life events, genetics, and personality.
Effects of Anxiety Disorders
An anxiety disorder can affect a person’s well-being, disrupting many aspects of their life. Left untreated, an anxiety disorder can have debilitating effects, such as:
- Difficulty at work and in school
- Strained relationships with friends, family, and partners
- Frequent doctor visits
- Financial hardship
- Development of another mental health condition
- The onset of a substance use disorder
The effects of an anxiety disorder can wreak havoc on your overall health. But with proper care, you can learn to manage your anxiety symptoms and start living a happier, more fulfilling life.
Therapies Used in Anxiety Disorder Treatment
We understand that anxiety disorders affect everyone differently, which is why each person completes a comprehensive assessment before beginning treatment.
To ensure that we deliver the most appropriate care for everyone, East Tennessee Behavioral Health offers a number of anxiety treatment programs. These include an inpatient program for adolescents, adults, and senior adults; a partial hospitalization program (PHP) for adults and senior adults; and an intensive outpatient program (IOP) for adults.
Based on the information we gather from you during the assessment process, our team will design a treatment plan that is tailored to your unique needs, strengths, and goals. Your treatment plan may include:
- Individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Group therapy
- Recreational activities
- Medication management services
- Nonmedical detoxification services
- Basic medical care
During therapy sessions, you can benefit from evidence-based treatment methods such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and motivational enhancement.
The Benefits of Anxiety Disorder Treatment
There are numerous benefits of anxiety disorder treatment. With treatment, you can process the root causes of anxiety, learn to do things with confidence, and make stronger connections with people around you.
By working with professionals, you can develop the skills necessary to help you cope with fear and adopt healthier behaviors to make day-to-day activities more enjoyable.
Choosing the Right Anxiety Disorder Treatment Center
If you are experiencing persistent symptoms of an anxiety disorder, it is crucial to make sure that the treatment place you go to can provide the level of care you need. It can make the difference between lasting healing and a continued spiral toward isolation.
There are many things to keep in mind when choosing the appropriate anxiety disorder treatment center for you. Questions you may want to ask include:
- Does this treatment center offer the level of care I need to achieve my goals?
- What does the admissions process look like?
- Will I receive a personalized treatment plan that is customized to my needs?
- What types of professionals will I work with during my time in treatment?
- Is the healing environment welcoming and supportive?
- What happens when my time in treatment comes to an end?
At East Tennessee Behavioral Health, our care team will collaborate with you not only on your treatment plan, but on your discharge planning as well. We’ll also give you a list of resources that may include social support, support groups, and educational opportunities.
This content was written on behalf of and reviewed by the clinical staff at East Tennessee Behavioral Health.